Listen and Talk has grown from being a small center providing 13 children with auditory-verbal therapy, to its current position as a recognized leader of listening and spoken language services in the Northwest, affecting the lives of more than 200 families annually.
When Listen and Talk was first established in 1996, there were no comparable organizations in Washington State. Technological advancements by way of cochlear implants and digital hearing aids, and the advent of newborn hearing screening in Washington State, has increased demand for our services every year.
We currently offer a range of programs and services based in listening and spoken language approaches:
- Birth to Three Services for babies and their families (birth-3 years old)
- Blended Classrooms for children age 3-5 years old
- Listening and Spoken Language Therapy sessions for children age 3 and older
- Audiology Services
- Consultations for families and school teams working with students in neighborhood school (preschool through completion of high school if needed)
Most Listen and Talk “graduates”:
- Enter their neighborhood school by kindergarten
- Learn and compete side-by-side with hearing peers in regular classrooms
- Converse and learn through spoken and written language
- Reach their full language and learning potential and fully integrate into the wider community
Lifelong goals for each child include:
- The ability to learn and gain information through listening
- The ability to effectively communicate without the need for an interpreter
- The ability to think and reason independently
- The use of age-appropriate literacy skills for communication, learning and enjoyment
- Intelligible speech
- Problem solving skills
- Social engagement
Over time, Listen and Talk has maintained its positive reputation and commitment to serving children with hearing loss because of its prudent management, laser focus on its mission, and the cultivation of relationships within government, health care, and other deaf education organizations.
Listen and Talk is responding as strongly as ever to the demand for our services and we are developing innovative and effective ways to support every child who needs our expertise. The future is bright for Listen and Talk and the families we support.
Listen and Talk teaches children with hearing loss to communicate and learn through listening and spoken language.
No child is limited by hearing loss.
We value a family centered approach, a collaborative environment, a knowledgeable team, an equitable and inclusive environment, and a visionary spirit.